There used to be a promotional offer from Microsoft, which enabled Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 subscribers to upgrade for free. However, today, we will tell you how you can update to Windows 10 for free. Meanwhile, Microsoft has taken back their previous offer of a free upgrade for existing 7 and 8.1 PCs.
This method is tried and tested for years now and comes from ZDNet’s Ed Bott. This method will be convenient for anyone who wants to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 as the support for Windows 7 is ending. Remember, this method applies only if your system specs support Windows 10.
The one pointer to look out for is while you’re upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there’s a risk of losing all your apps and data. You may see an option for saving your data and folders, but because of the variation between the software integration of Windows 10 and Windows 7, this option is not sure to work. So smart thing to do here is to note down all the apps and copy the settings at someplace. Thus, you can re-install the apps after the upgrade. This problem doesn’t seem to appear in Windows 8 to Windows 10 upgrade, following this process.
Complete Process For Updating Windows 7 To Windows 10
- Take a back-up of all the required content like files, folders, and media.
- Now go to a browser and go to the official Microsoft Windows 10 download platform.
- Look for create Windows 10 and select the create an installation media button. Then choose “Download Tool Now” and execute the setup.
- You’ll see a screen pop up and select the “Upgrade This Pc Now” option.
- Next, you’ll have to choose whether you want to back up your data or work as a new system.
Note: The choice will be irrelevant as the data and settings will be removed for Windows 10 upgrading process.
- When the setup is complete, and the upgrade is installed, you’ll see the official Windows 10 license. To find it go to settings, then locate update & security, and then click on Activation.